I was doing some research today on goal-setting. Many people use the SMART acronym to help define the goal-setting process. It helps to develop goals that are:
- Specific – significant, stretching
- Measurable – meaningful, motivational
- Attainable – achievable, acceptable, action-oriented
- Relevant – reasonable, rewarding, results-oriented
- Timely – tangible, trackable
I liked this updated version: SMART 2.0, SMARTIE.
SMARTIE Goals add Innovation and Ethics to the list. Innovative goals are original and Ethical goals are about trust and the “how” you achieve a goal. “Nothing is more rewarding than working with a team that does the right thing the right way.”