My friends at Best Online Colleges.com produced a great list of tips for hosting a Successful Hangout with Your Students.
Some of the points I thought were of particular interest:
- Do a practice run. It has been my experience that technology seems to fail us when we need it most!
- Don’t just lecture, interact. This is probably the hardest part of conducting an online class or event. There are a lot of ways to interact with your audience; polls, collaborative documents, virtual white boards, just to name a few.
- Record it! How many times have we all forgotten to hit the record button before we give a lecture online only to have to go back and record another version of it later. The recordings are what students value when they are studying or have a question about something.
- Explain how to use the Mute feature – or just Mute everyone and then allow them to speak when it is their turn.
- Form circles of students – kind of like creating teams or groups – what a great idea!
- Layout the ground rules! Any virtual event needs a set of ground rules otherwise they can be a free-for-all.
Read all the tips in the article. I think you’ll find them helpful!!